Job Ref: TGS1535
Our client is a well-known Retailer and require an experienced Head of Buying to join the team. They are a fashion-forward company who have been established for over 20 years and have stores on high streets all across the country and online.
The main purpose of the role is delivered commercially viable ranges that meet Departmental and Company sales and profit targets, while maintaining a strategic business focus and working closely with senior management.
- Overseeing the development and delivery of seasonal buying strategies and ensuring products are aligned with key product lines.
- Presenting the figures, product, and season trends to the Managing Director.
- Keeping an up-to-date commercial understanding of current and future trends by visiting suppliers,’ trade shows and competitors’ outlets. Have a sharp fashion eye with recognized ability to spot emerging trends.
- Planning, sourcing, and buying of merchandise at category level in a commercial environment.
- Sourcing of suppliers from both inside and outside the European market at departmental and company level.
- Ensuring ranges are selected within timescales sufficient to meet required “on sale” dates in line with agreed company promotional calendars and making operational departments aware.
- Negotiating cost prices, in the best interest of the Company, so achieving financial budgets set for sales, margins, stock and open-to-buy whilst taking into account range and sales plans.
- Analysing current and past sales information to identify success and failure, in order to plan effectively. Pro-actively sharing and discussing these strategies with senior management to drive the business forward.
- Taking the necessary action to ensure achievement of terminal stock and margin targets.
- Maintaining effective and professional supplier and factory relationships, so as to develop and sustain a sound supply structure fulfilling the Company profit requirements by using suppliers’ capabilities and specialties to our best advantage.
- Overseeing the critical path meetings in that all keys cut off dates are met, and delays avoided.
- Training and developing members of the team to achieve their potential, focusing on the individual needs by working on development plans and continually reviewing.
- Undertake branch visits with senior managers within the business during the year to ensure awareness of our business, market and competition.
- Working closely with Design to captures and develop the latest trends and with Technologists to ensure fit satisfies the company’s high-quality standard
- Minimum of 5 years similar experience
- Ability to work on own initiative to meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent leadership and motivational skills. Being able to develop junior members of the team by understanding their individual needs.
- Full understanding of the merchandising role and the relationship between it and the buying department. Working closely to balance trading and planning to create timely and exciting ranges for the stores.
- Excellent analytical skills and commercial awareness by being able to always think strategically to drive company profit targets.
- Proven ability to influence and negotiate effectively with suppliers and senior managers, and proven sourcing experience in Europe and other countries.
- Proven previous experience at a senior level of buying within a fast moving, commercial ladies fashion environment, preferably at Head Office level.