Job Ref: TGM1615
An established clothing supplier are seeking a Health and Safety Manger to join their team. You will be working with major store groups. The Health & Safety Manager will apply sound legislative and commercial awareness in delivering all aspects of the H&S systems of the company. Confidently delivering continuous improvement and always working towards best practice. Using experience and skills to engage both managers and staff to work with compliantly, responsibly and engaged in improvement across the site.
- Responsible for the development and continuous improvement of a culture where HSE is core to the activities of the business. Ensuring proactive and inclusive approach to HSE standards are maintained and practically complied with throughout the business by working closely with all levels of management.
- Ensuring the Company meets its statutory obligations in all areas of health, safety and welfare at work, including all statutory training and reporting.
- Ensure all systems/processes are in accordance with the relevant legislation, regulations, approved codes of practice and local authority requirements. Including full responsibility for conducting reviews and assessments in a timely manner to maintain appropriate registers of HSE legislation, compliance schedules and environmental impacts etc.
- To manage and maintain company systems to enable the preparation for audits, management of the audit process and delivery of successful company retail audits (Ethical, H&S and Technical Audits).
- Review and advise on the HSE impacts of plant, processes and facilities’ including Contractor and Visitor rules, induction and records, HSE Maps (e.g. PPE areas, Evacuation, Drain plans etc.), fire and emergency evacuation, PPE & Workwear. Ensure that all aspects are fully assessed prior to introduction and are appropriately audited against both business and retailer audit standards.
- To liaise with and manage subcontractors and suppliers on or off site, to ensure proper assessment prior to selection and are appropriately audited against both business and retailer audit standards.
- Develop, continuously improve, and maintain the HSE Manual, incorporating the HSE Policy, Procedures, Work Instructions and Forms.
- Lead timely completion and drive effective controls for all Risk Assessments, to lead Accident and Incident investigations and subsequent improvements with emphasis on preventive measures. To determine root cause of accidents, incidents and other concerns and implementing cost effective solutions by the completion, regular review and communication of risk assessments for all work equipment and operations.
- Put in place effective controls, remedial actions and plan initiatives to minimise non-conformance.
- Initiate Safety Tours, Inspections and conduct scheduled HSE internal audits and external audits on the HSE activities of key suppliers to the business (as leader of audit processes).
- Ensure the day-to-day running and continuous development of HSE Management System ensuring its suitability for the risks encountered.
- To establish, deliver and lead a structured programme of health & safety training throughout the Company. Identify needs, promote and initiate relevant HSE and related skills training.
- Manage and support the Production Training Officer, in the delivery of their duties which include delivery of the above.
- Liaise with all levels of management to ensure compliance practices are maintained within the business environment and all production related projects.
- Responsible for the implementation of effective controls resulting from the internal audit program and controlling activities that affect HSE.
- Collecting and evaluating HSE related data and initiating any necessary containment, corrective and preventive action. Create HSE reports for management team meetings, Toolbox Talks, provide information for Newsletter etc.
- Schedule, manage and chair regular meetings of the HSE Committee, communicating actions from outputs of the HSE Committee.
- Develop relationships with regulatory body representatives and manage visits (e.g. Fire Service, HSE etc.)
- Responsible for site facilities including the management of the Site Services team.
- This role requires extensive competence commensurate with the requirements of the job role above. A formally recognized qualification in HSE (NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent) with a good understanding and working knowledge of HSE activities and management systems in manufacturing or engineering is ESSENTIAL. You must also be able to demonstrate proven HSE experience and working knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Experience in the implementation of ISO9001 / ISO 45001 would be an advantage.
- Auditing or retail audit compliance experience will be an advantage.